Artisan Rye Sour-Dough Bread
Freshly baked. All natural. Hand crafted.
Adding to the benefits of sour-dough, Rye is high in fibre and is power packed with nutrients. It contains a higher level of pentosans (a complex sugar) that absorb and retain water even after baking - making the breads more moist.
Ingredients: A mixture of Wheat Flour, Water, Rye Flour, Levain, Sunflower Oil, Sugar, Salt, Malt Yeast. A long, slow ferment helps to create a loaf with a tasty tangy flavor, chewy texture and crisp, crackly crust.
Nutritional and Health Benefits
Rye is a grass that is closely associated with wheat and barley, yet superior to the two. Also known as secale cereal and powerhouse of antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, full of the good carbohydrates that can make you feel fuller than wheat or barley and promote weight loss.
Rye sourdough bread has a wonderful fruity sour flavour and a higher nutritional value when compared to other breeds. Most artisan bakeries used at least a portion of rye flour in many of their sourdough bread.
Rye Flour so popular in sourdough bread for many reasons
- High level of enzymes that attract a variety of yeasts
- Ability to retain moisture in a way that is far greater than any other flour.
Rye Helps Keep Sourdough Softer for Longer
t’s naturally high in fibre
Rye is a great source of vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, potassium and phosphorus, and antioxidants
How to Store Bread
How to buy the healthiest sourdough bread
- All sourdough bread is fermented bread so no matter which one you buy you will get the good digestive benefits from the naturally occurring bacteria.
- Opt for those made with darker, wholewheat flours such as rye or spelt for extra fibre to enjoy extra health benefits.
- Just because rye’s dark colour makes it look like a whole grain loaf means that it always is whole grain.
- Today, many rye breads are blends of light, medium, or dark rye flour blended with a higher protein flour, like wheat, for better rising.” The fermentation process will help break down the gluten and may have more antioxidant properties.
Does rye bread have gluten?
If you’re looking for a gluten-free bread alternative, rye bread is definitely not the answer. Like wheat, rye contains gluten.
- Your Fresh Loaf will last 2 days at room temperature.
- It is best to slice your bread and wrap it in the cling film for storage in the freezer on the second day.
- It will last in the freezer at least a month.
- Reheat the bread by toasting the slices before you relish it!
Avocado Toast with Herb Mayo
- 4 slices rye sourdough
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- 4 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon microgreens
- 1-2 pinches sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
Making the Herbed Mayo
- In a small bowl, combine mayo, garlic, grainy Dijon, and fresh herbs (chives, parsley, and basil) Add a dash of salt and pepper.
Place the rye sourdough slices and spread Herb Mayo. Slice the tomatoes. Halve the avocados, remove the stones, peel them, then cut into slices, too. Place the avocado slices on the Mayo spread, then the tomato slices. Spread or dollop on the cottage cheese, then sprinkle lemon zest and microgreens on the top, along with a smattering of salt and pepper. Enjoy!