Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Directly imported premium quality Spanish Olive Oils produced in the award-winning family-owned farms of Ribes Oli, since 1924. The oil is produced from olives that are cold-pressed and bottled on the farm within four hours of harvesting. Thus, retaining the Bitter and spicy after taste, characteristics and flavouring that is so desirable and unique., all attributes of high-quality Olive oil. Best used on fresh salads/paired with fish dishes/dipping with bread.
Nutritional and Health Benefits
Olive oil is the oil extracted from olives that are extracted from the olive tree. It’s considered to be discovered in Greece, so it’s considered part of the Mediterranean diet.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is the juice of the olive fruit. This is because the way EVOO is produced does not undergo high heat and chemical refining. It is the least refined and processed. The technique used is called cold pressed/extraction under a temperature of preferably no more than 28oC. EVOO is considered the healthiest type because it’s mostly natural and standardized for purity.
EVOO nutritional composition.
It contains a decent amount of vitamins K and E, and plenty of beneficial monounsaturated fatty acids. It has plenty of powerful antioxidants – they can help fight off various diseases and strengthen the human immune system. The primary antioxidants in extra virgin olive oil include natural anti-inflammatory.
Ideas to enjoy and Storage
As extra virgin olive oil has a stronger, more peppery taste it may be best kept for drizzling and dipping rather than cooking with. EVOO make best Salad Dressings, Pestos, Hummus, topped on Sauteed vegetables, Tossing Potato salad, drizziling on Herbed Rice, make your own Flavoured EVOO to use in salad.
Storage of EVOO
Ideally, buy EVOO olive oil in a dark bottle, as light degrades the oil and can turn it rancid.
- Dark glass bottles or stainless steel containers offer better protection than plastic bottles.
- EVOO is both light and heat sensitive. That’s the reason good quality EVOO is sold in tinted glass bottles.
- With time, the level of healthy antioxidants start deteriorating, so buy smaller bottles and use them within 3-4 months.
- EVOO has a tendency to go rancid, so it needs to be stored in a cool dry place away from light to preserve the flavour,means it’s best to store in a cupboard and not on the kitchen surface where it can be exposed to sunlight.
- Don’t place a big bottle of EVOO near the hob as the heat from the flame may deteriorate the quality of oil.
- Pouring a small quantity in a bottle for daily use and storing the rest in the fridge prolongs its life as the bigger bottle is not opened repeatedly and exposed to air.
- EVOO turns a bit cloudy in the fridge but will get back to normal on reaching room temperature.
- 1 large bunch mixed lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 small bunch of Baby Kale coarsely chopped
1 small bunch Fresh Arugula coarsely chopped
- 2 medium English cucumbers, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup white or red onion sliced
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, add all ingredients in order as listed
Stir well and gently, and serve immediately or within a few hours.